Sunday, 8 September 2013

Review of the article: Learning to Read the World: Literacy in the first 3 years.


Week 2 Blog:

Peer Reviewed Article:  Learning To Read The World: Literacy in the First 3 Years. By, Sharon E. Rosenkoetter, & Joabbe Knapp-Philo

This article interested me and attracted my attention as, I wanted to explore and learn more about how family peers can influence and play a role in a child’s literacy learning. The article interested me as it focused a lot on the concept of ‘words carry power begins during the first years of life’, (Rosenkoetter, Knapp-Philo, 2004).  I found that concept to be interesting as to how simple things from a young child can mean so much yet we may not notice. The message I have taken from the article was that communities must encourage infants and toddlers and their families and early childhood programs to help adapt young children to early language and literacy. As the infant years are incredibly important towards producing readers, I now can take to practice that it is important to emphasize to caregivers and families that they can play a significant role on there child’s knowledge to read the world and there literacy and language. I can suggest and may family members aware that simple things such as; time, there presence, use of words, prints and there intentional is all they need in order to have an impact on there child’s learning of early literacy.

References:

Rosenkoetter, S. & Knapp-Philo, J. (2004). Learning to read e world: Literacy in the first 3 years. Zero to Three, 25(1), 4-9



No comments:

Post a Comment