Numeracy: Young children’s access to
powerful mathematical ideas.
Literacy: Readers as text code breakers
I have chosen the two readings as they both
explore the importance and provide readers with strategies has to how to play a
part in a young child learning. The reading based around text coding provided
questions and activities for the readers as to ways and how to read text codes.
Text codes can be an important learning strategy for young children and as
educators as we can provide and or identify through the use of text codes a child’s
thoughts. I felt this corresponded well with the article based around young
children and how important mathematics can be and how it can be incorporated through
the child’s everyday living. Both articles expressed how adults could have a
positive influence towards the child’s early learning of numeracy and literacy
through both the notions of mathematics and text code breakers. The key message
from both readings is the importance of mathematics and its ideas and explains
how young children can access theses ideas. Furthermore the literacy reading
based around text code breakers emphasizes the fact that they draw on a range
of strategies as they decode, predict, confirm, self-correct, and monitor the
sense the children are making from the in particular text. Through the process
of text code breakers its focuses on the examining aspects of phonological
awareness and development, and print and word awareness in relations to young
children. An interesting aspect based around the element of mathematics in a
young child’s early learning is that technology can be used as a learning tool
to provide early numeracy learning. Therefore from the readings I can take this
information and adapt it into my education theories as I now have a greater
understanding around text code breaking and mathematics through technology and
the peers around the child. In regards to the text code breaking as an educator
I can either use it to provide an exercise for the young children and or I can
use it as an examining tool towards the children. Along with the numeracy I can
use the information to provide the child’s parents with some basic knowledge as
to how there input can play a role in there child’s learning. I will also be
able to adapt technology into educating the children early learning of numeracy
through a range of systemic mathematical programs available for educators. Overall both articles provided me with
sufficient knowledge based around the early learning of numeracy and literacy for
young children.
References:
Harris, P., Turbill, J., Fitzsimmons,
P. & McKenzie, B. (2006). Readers as text code breakers, Reading in the
Primary School years (pp. 114-158). South Melbourne: Social Science Press.
Perry, B., & Dockett, S. (2008).
Young children’s access to powerful mathematical ideas. In L. D. English (Ed.),
Handbook of international research in mathematics education (2nd
ed). NY: Routledge
No comments:
Post a Comment