Monday, 4 November 2013

Week 12:




Numeracy: The classroom that math built: Encouraging young mathematicians to pose problems

Literacy: Writing Critically

Both readings focus on the literacy and numeracy used among mathematics and critical literacy for young children. They both interest me as it is intriguing how different educators structure there early learning of mathematics and critical literacy. Both readings enhanced the fact that critical literacy and mathematical thinking is an important element within the numeracy and literacy curriculum. By introducing critical literacy and thinking and mathematical thinking into a young child’s early learning it can have a positive effect towards their future studies.

As an educator we need to ensure that we enforce critical thinking and to provide the children with several options and to ensure we are not providing the children with something that may include gender discrimination, stereotypes, racism and many other aspect. Many students at a young age may not pick up on those issues used within a text weather it is in a book or a video, or television show. Visual and language for the early learning of critical thinking and mathematics is important as it can construct events and people. Therefore I will provide the children with as many resources as I can to ensure the children have access to critical writing and thinking and mathematical thinking. Through this it will enhance a hands on approach and to provide authentic learning activities for the young children.

I believe both readings provided great strategies, as both focused on hands-on activities, which I believe is one of the best learning strategies for young children. I will take the advice and apply it to my practice with birth to 4 year olds, as I will provide the children with plenty of story’s and movies along with providing them with pattern blocks, counters, linking cubes, counters and many other resources.

References:

Wallace, A., Abbott, D. & McAlhaney Blary, R. (2007). The classroom that math built: Encouraging young mathematicians to pose problems. Young Children, September, 42-46

Wilson, L. (20060. Writing critically. Writing to live: How to teach writing for today’s work. (pp.11-43). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann

4 comments:

  1. Hey Zoe,
    Your reading post this week was very focused on yourself and all of us doing this topic as future educators. I think this is very effective as it shows that you have taken the readings on board and have been thinking critically about them and how you can use your new found knowledge in practice in the future. Great work!
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it really fascinating to read your thoughts, opinions and how you used the information provided by the texts to influence your own practices. I like to see other people's opinions to help shape my own as well as to compare details just out of my own curiosity. I too am a strong believer in hands on activities so I liked the way that both texts supported this form of learning.

    Thanks for the read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zoe,

    I found your post very interesting and insightful. I completely agree with how you said that we should encourage critical thinking and that we should be mindful of the content that we are providing the children. In one of my tutorials, the class had a lengthy discussion on how lots of books, videos and resources may include some of those issue you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Zoe,

    I read the same literacy article as you and I really love that reading. I like your emphasis on making experiences hands on as this is what I want to strive to do as well. I also like how you pointed out that as teachers we need to be critical of the resources we provide for children to ensure that things like books and movies do not perpetuate stereotypes in society.

    ReplyDelete