Monday, 16 September 2013

Numeracy: Playing with Mathematics: Play in Early Childhood as a Context for Mathematical Learning. Literacy: Writers as text users


Blog Entry:

Week: User- What do I do with this?

Readings:

Numeracy: Playing with Mathematics: Play in Early Childhood as a Context for Mathematical Learning.
Literacy:  Writers as text users

Why did I choose the readings?

I specifically chose the two articles as they focus on different important aspects involved in the process of learning literacy and numeracy through the years of birth to 4. They both interested me, as they are quite hidden aspects of literacy and numeracy, which educators and myself may not identify as important aspects.

What about them interested me/main message?

It was interesting to gain knowledge on what are the most important aspects to focus on within mathematics numeracy and literacy text writing. Text writing is an important aspect of literacy for birth to 4 year olds, and it can be incorporated into many activity’s; role plays, creating posters which has blurbs and text on it, technology and to familiarizes the children with different text types through technology etc. In relations to this play is stated as a crucial part of a young child, however many educators fail to incorporate play into learning (Bobis, J., deVries, E., Dockett, S., Highfield, K., Hunting, R., Lee, S., Perry, B. & Thomas, L. 2010) Mathematics is also a crucial element in a young child’s numeracy learning, and it is evident that educators who are able to incorporate and connect play and awareness through mathematics are providing a positive rich early learning of numeracy.


Knowledge gained from readings, which I can apply to practice when working with birth to 4?

The readings have influenced me to be wise and critical in regards to the level of text writing according to the age group, and whether the context is suitable for them. However it has also influenced me to incorporate a lot more text writing within activity’s as it can have a significant impact on there early learning of literacy. This will also applies with numeracy and to emphasize the use of play and awareness as it has significant positive effects towards their literacy. The main aspect that I am taking from the readings and applying to my activities with birth to 4 year olds is to enhance play, and that literacy and numeracy can be best learnt by incorporating both play and numeracy or literacy.  

References:

Bobis, J., deVries, E., Dockett, S., Highfield, K., Hunting, R., Lee, S., Perry, B. & Thomas, L. (2010, July). Playing with mathematics: Play in early childhood as a context for mathematical learning. Mathematics Education Research Group of Australia’s 33rd Annual Conference: Shaping the Future of Mathematics Education, Fremantle, WA.

Harris, P., Turbill, J., Fitzsimmons, P. & McKenzie, B. (2003). Writers as text users. Writing in the Primary School Years (pp. 149-167). Tuggerah, NSW: Social Science Press



2 comments:

  1. thanks for the read, I found this interesting as I am also interested in learning through play as my main focus. I think its important to recognise different levels of literacy and numeracy at certain age groups and this will help me to be able to find this in placement as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also interested in play as a way for children to learn about and use literacy and numeracy. It is great to read articles that support play as critical for this learning. I wonder about our roles and the pressure on educators to develop children's literacy and numeracy to meet standards like NAPLAN tests. Maybe this means finding ways to curb our own ideas for play opportunities that we think are best and follow the lead of children and their play ideas.

    ReplyDelete